Dedicated Debt Collection for the Veterinary Industry

  01527 543672   |

When Can I Use a Bailiff to Get what’s owed to me?

Reading Time: 54 seconds

There is nothing more annoying than people getting away with paying what they owe.

In this article I explain the difference between the various types of Bailiffs and how they can be used to collect your money.

The main types of Bailiffs are:

  • Private Bailiffs
  • County Court Bailiffs
  • and High Court Enforcement Officers

Because private and commercial debts are civil and not criminal matter’s Creditors (the person/company that is owed the money) must use the County Court or High Court as a means of enforcing Judgements (collecting your money).

The Magistrate’s Court’s are reserved for criminal matters only.

Private Bailiffs

Private Bailiffs are usually employed by a bona fide company and are “certificated” or authorised by the County Court.

They are empowered to act on Court orders or Warrants only, for example, the collection of:

  • Council Tax
  • Business Rates
  • Commercial Rent
  • Unpaid Car Parking offences.

Private Bailiffs are generally paid on successful collection only. However, the general public are unable to use their services without leave/permission of the court, and that’s very rare indeed.

County Court Bailiffs

The second type of Bailiff is employed directly by the County Court and enforces Warrants and Orders on behalf of the County Court only.

For example, they

  • Serve Legal Documents
  • Enforce Warrants of Execution
  • Supervise the possession of property and the return of goods subject to hire purchase.

Generally County Court Bailiffs are paid directly by Her Majesties Court Service and are not subject to the same financial constraints as Private Bailiffs, i.e. if they don’t obtain payment they still get paid.

High Court Enforcement Officers (HEO)

The third type of Bailiff is also known as a High Court Enforcement Officer (HEO) or Sheriff’s Officer and is generally employed by a bona fide company.

HEO’s will enforce all judgements from the High Court and some larger County Court Debts i.e. over £5,000 but can enforce warrants starting at £600.

In Summery

Assuming judgement has been granted in the Count Court or High Court you can employ the services of a County Court Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officer depending on the amount owed.

To employ us to act on your behalf or to have an initial discussion on the wide variety of options open to you, contact us here or call us on 01527 543 672.

Please Note: There’s an up front fee payable by the creditor when the Bailiff or HEO is instructed and collection is not guaranteed.

My next news letter will describe other popular County Court methods of collecting monies that are owed to you. To make sure you don’t miss out, you can subscribe to this blog here.

One thought on “When Can I Use a Bailiff to Get what’s owed to me?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.